We had a very nice and relaxing walk down the hill near the Fortress, towards the Sava River.
The sun was about to set down, the first lights were on, few people around and all was very quiet……….
We walked but someone uses the bycicle to enjoy the view………..
We saw other damaged houses along the river…………
and a few floating “kafana” as they call the old “trattoria”….
We crossed the railways, the main buses station and we were back in the city center, for our last night walk……….some places were familiar, other unknown but charming nevertheless…..
Republic Square with the statue of Prince Michael, the National Museum at his back and the National Theatre on his right
The bronze statue of Prince Michael on a horse, by the Italian sculptor Enrico Pazzi was erected in 1882. It was erected in honor of the Prince’s most important political achievement, complete expulsion of the Turks from Serbia and liberation of the remaining 7 cities within (then) Serbian territory, still under the Turkish rule (1867). The names of the cities are carved on a plates on the monument itself, on the statue’s pedestal and prince is sculptured with his hand allegedly pointing to Constantinople, showing the Turks to leave. During recent years, the role and honor of prince somewhat fell into the oblivion and the statue became simply known as kod konja (Serbian for ‘at the horse’).
The present square was formed after the demolition of the Stambol Gate in 1866 and the construction of the National Theatre in 1869. The gate was built in the 18th century by the Austrian, and stood in the area between the present Prince Mihailo monument and the National Theatre building. The gate was named after the road which led through it to Constantinople. The people remembered the Stambol Gate as the place in front of which the Turks executed the “raya”, their non-Muslim subjects, by impaling them on stakes. It was also the place where during the attack on Belgrade in 1806 in the First Serbian Uprising, one of the leading Serb military commanders, Vasa Čarapić, was fatally wounded. After the establishment of Serbian rule and the demolition of the Stambol Gate, the site of the present square was not laid out for a long time. The National Theatre was the only large building standing here for more than thirty years and until Communist rule after 1945 it was named Pozorišni Trg (Theatre square). The square gradually started to acquire more buildings after the monument to Prince Mihailo was erected in 1882. The place where now the National Museum is, was the location of long single-storied building which housed, among other things, the famous “Dardaneli restaurant”. This was the meeting-place of members of the artistic circles at the time. The building was pulled down to make way in 1903 for the Treasury (now the building of the National Museum).
Most of the buildings were destroyed during the German bombing on April 6, 1941. After World War II the tram tracks were removed (until then, a tram terminus was here), and the square, on which for a short time were the crypt and the monument to the Red Army soldiers died during the Belgrade Offensive in 1944, was removed (their remains have been transferred to the Cemetery of the Liberators of Belgrade). Later, the biggest building on this square, the “Press House” was constructed, so as the “City Restaurant” and the International Press Center.
On one side, the square extends to the Knez Mihailova street, the pedestrian zone and one of the main commercial sections of Belgrade
Students Park and Square
Studentski Trg is located halfway between the Republic Square and the Kalemegdan park-fortress. Studentski Trg was projected as the first in a succession of squares around Belgrade’s central route from Kalemegdan to Slavija. In time, Studentski Trg and Terazije pretty much lost their square functions, becoming streets. Studentski Trg is turned into the turning point and terminal station for bus lines. Studentski Trg is location of many educational and cultural institutions, thus the names (Students Square, Academy Park, etc.).
Finansijski Park the first public garden in Belgrade
The sculpture “Takovski Uprising,” by Peter Ubavkić, showing Prince Miloš and Archbishop Melentije Pavlovic, situated in a park surrounded by imposing governmet buildings….
The Church of the Ascension is located in Admirala Geprata Street. It was built in 1863 by order of Prince Mihailo Obrenović, for the soldiers from the Grand Barracks located nearby. The bell tower contains several bells, including the one that sounded for the first time on the Cathedral Church in 1830 when the Principality of Serbia gained its autonomy. The church was designed in accordance with then prevailing romanticism, in the tradition of the old Serbian monasteries , especially Ravanica . It was seriously damaged in the bombing of Belgrade in 1941 and 1944 that killed many people . In the courtyard in front of the church is a monument to the fallen in the shape of a cross.
The Greek Embassy
And that was our good-bye to Belgrade. It was really a surprise, a joy and a thrill this city, that had so much more to offer if we just had the time…..