Inside, the church has one nave, altars on the sides and a high dome. The nave ceiling and cupola are frescoed by Giovanni Antonio Vezzani. The main altar has a canvas depicting the Madonna and child and Saints Peter and Paul by Alessandro Mazzola. The church contains also paintings by Alessandro Bernabei, Giovanni Bolla, and Clemente Ruta.
The works of the parmesan painter Alessandro Bernabei, are a dying St. Giuseppe of the first years of the 17th century and an interesting altarpiece on the main altar, carved in wood and depicting a neoclassical theme.
A church of San Pietro in Parma is first mentioned in a document dated 26 april 955. It was completely rebuilt in the Gothic style between 1418 and 1492 under the direction of architect Cristoforo Zaneschi. The next intervention was the one by the Petitot in 1762 (but the original church was already demolished in 1707). The architect Petitot designed also the portal, made by the carver Marc Vibert The completed church was rededicated by Alessandro Pisani, bishop of Piacenza.
The church was suppressed by decree of the Napoleonic government in 1811, and reconsecrated in 1852, only to be suppressed again in 1867.
Now the church is under the power of the Diocese of Parma, but it doesn’t have its own priest, and it’s open to religious ceremonies just for special occasions.